PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Pages

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Reason I Wear Pink

rib4.gif - 3.5 K
Most people assume that I wear pink because I'm a girly-girl and girly-girls like pink. This couldn't be any further than the truth for me. I just recently turned into a girly-girl. You can ask my mother that I absolutely hated pink. Blue was my favorite color...I was such a tomboy.

It wasn't until 1997 that I started liking pink. I can't really remember exactly when my grandmother was diagnosed with cancer but I remember that it changed my life forever. My grandmother was the glue that keep my dad's crazy side of the family together. When I first found out that she was diagnosed; I did not really understand the severity of the situation. I just thought she was sick, she would take some medicine and everything would be back to normal. She began to undergo chemotherapy and as a result she lost all of her beautiful hair. I think that was when I realized that it was serious and she eventually had to get a mastectomy.
The cancer went into remission and life went back to "normal"; until the cancer came back.

My 16th birthday was January 22, 1997(go ahead and do the math) and I remember my grandmother calling my to wish me a happy birthday. We had such a great conversation and I promised that I would call her the next week. I never got the chance to make that next call. Almost a week to the day; my dad comes into my room and woke me up. Before he even said anything I started crying and said "I already know". I will never forget that moment. As I write this post my eye are welling up with tears. This was the day I started wearing pink.

Ever since that day; I have been an avid breast cancer awareness supporter. I don't just support breast cancer awareness when it is October; I am a year round supporter. I am always looking to things to buy that sends a portion of the proceeds to research. I donate money to research and I hope to do a walk like the Avon breast cancer walk next year.

I would invite everyone to visit Breast Cancer Research Foundation or Susan G. Komen websites for more information and ways to get involved.

Why do you wear pink?
 
Blog Design by Cutesy Couture Designs